Sunday, August 30, 2009

Inside the cabin

Looking out the front door - I often leave doors and windows open for the views and sounds. One day several weeks ago while sitting on the front porch, I saw a red fox in his short summer coat trotting across the drive from right to left - he hopped over the split rail fence, found something to chomp on for a minute then continued up my neighbors driveway. They reported having seen him around this summer as well.


I just stood in the middle of the 'great room' - I guess that's the term for it - turned around and snapped photos of different parts of the cabin. Not able to capture the feel at all - the light that comes through skylights in the vaulted ceilings changes with time of day and the weather. Textures are warm and cozy; my 'things' - the stuff collected over years that define us and our memories - fit right in as if the place had been waiting for me.









Can't wait for fall weather - want to use the fireplace - those are some of my clay pieces - bears, of course - on the mantel. Some of the quilt-tops seen on sofa and chairs were purchased from a woman I met while delivering Meals-on-Wheels in Forsyth County, GA way back in 1985 - she had a chiffarobe stacked full of them, by her account over 100 that she and her mother had piece-stitched by hand from flour-sack cloth.









Can't believe I didn't clean up my bedroom before snapping this picture. Mine is the smallest bedroom in the house but has a door to the back porch which I often leave open at night (there is something that might pass for a screen door, flimsy but keeps out the bugs); I like drifting off to sleep to the sound of the falls; a friend noted that it sounds like ocean waves when approaching the beach over dunes. Later in the summer, cicadas drowned out everything else; they are the sound of summer in the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment