Sunday, August 30, 2009

Blackberry Mountain through the lens of a Fuji camera from Walmart Part I










Entrance to the covered bridge across the Cartecay River - I like the sign on the bridge, so all you folks coming by horseback have been forewarned. River views are upstream towards Blackberry Falls in the upper part of the photos. This is a popular stretch for kayakers and tubers (tube-ers? toobers?); there's a great swimming hole below the falls when the river's not busy. There are quieter spots along the river for exploring - I recently saw a large salamander unfortunately called a 'hellbender' http://tinyurl.com/n898ya ...he looks much scarier than he is and is often whacked for this and other misconceptions. They are shy and rarely seen; I was thrilled to know they are here.
The river bottom is pebbles and sand, water is cold and clear. . I'm able to click on the photos to enlarge picture - nice details of kayakers coming over the falls in the first picture.

This is the front of my cabin which sits on a ridgeline at the top of a steep slope down to the Cartecay River. I'm sitting on the front porch with Buddy - she looks like a black bear. The cabin is log-and-chink with snug dove-tail corners - would warm the heart of any engineer. You are facing east in this photo and those trees above the roofline are hemlocks over 60 feet tall.

I can tell this post is going to be in "sections" as I'm still learning how to edit the lay-out. And it has just now become apparent to me that the most recent post appearing at the top of the blog is going to be the "end" of the series of photos and captions. Not at all what I intended but I'm pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment